[thelist] please help with this code

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Dec 30 11:16:13 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zhang, Lingling" <lingz at cs.umd.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 11:58 AM

> Thanks for all who responded to me!
>
> Now I fixed the problems you pointed out, and the syntax error
> is gone. However, when I clicked OK on the confirm dialog, the
> code inside the if block didn't get executed. Any idea why this
> is happening?

ll,

There are lots of possible reasons.  It is very common for code to first
have syntax errors, then once those are resolved logic and flow errors.
Before you pose such a question to this list, keep a couple things in mind:

1.  Errors are normal during development and only show up to test your
troubleshooting skills.  (yes, they are sentient in that way!)  As you
troubleshoot them on your own you get better at handling them in the future.

1.  We don't know the final code you ended up with.

2.  We don't know what troubleshooting steps you have gone through to
determine that the code within the block hasn't executed.

I'd recommend that you take another look at your code and try to work
through it on your own before posing this question to this list.  If you
cannot make it work, then show us the code that you are running and let us
know what you've tried already.  Then we can give you a better answer.

Take care,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.