[thelist] Designing with different text size in mind

Aaron Wormus aaron at wormus.com
Fri Jan 2 04:13:24 CST 2004

Greetings all! I just signed up to thelist, so this will be my first email!

I am not a designer, I like playing with CSS, but my eye for design is
not very good, as portrayed by my most recent blog design.
http://www.wormus.com/aaron/.

I tried to make the layout tight so that I can use the space for links,
and while it's not the most "pretty" (ok, it's ugly), it works for me :)

As soon as I posted it I got a lot of feedback from my IE readers (I use
Firebird), saying how terrible it looks. I did test it in IE and while
there were a few glitches that I was going to get around to fixing, it
didn't look TOO much different from Firebird.

When I went to their computer I saw that they had the "Text Size" in
their browser set to "Larger" when I had mine set to "Medium". This
little change totally screwed up my text based layout. My question: Is
there anyway to get around this (short of making a graphic based design)
if you want to make a pixel perfect layout?

I hope some of you will have time to chat about this, as I'm a bit
perplexed :)

Happy New Year,
Aaron