[thelist] Accessibility v XHTML

Michael Pack michaelpack at wvdhhr.org
Fri Jan 2 12:19:02 CST 2004

Thanks for the correction.

I should have researched further. I was unaware that input was the only
form element that supported the alt attribute. I was working on a form
recently and the first thing I tried was adding the alt attribute, the
form passed the accessibility check. I see now that the form passed
because it was  checked against 508 Standards, Section 1194.22 "(a) A
text equivalent for every non-text element shall be provided". So
basically the alt attribute is only tricking the checker.

I see now that the label tag should be used with the id attribute.
Thanks!

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 16:54, Michael Pack wrote:
> No need for label....add an alt tag to the selector....
>
> <select id="quickselect" name="clients" alt="Client List"
> onchange="window.location.href =
> this.value;"></select>

Err - &rudeWord;

The alt *attribute* provides a textual alternative in the event that
an
image can not be displayed.

It does not label an element, and the <select> elements doesn't
support
an alt attribute. (<input> does, but that is for use with <input ...
type="image">).

--
David Dorward                                 <http://dorward.me.uk/>
http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/