[thelist] Local server choices

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at peak.org
Sat Jan 3 15:28:29 CST 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:21:41 -0600, Mike Hopkins <ironmike at inav.net> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend/compare/comment on any of the
> "all-in-one" server packages such as FoxServer, IndigoPerl,
> xiampp, Merlin, etc., that install Apache/Perl/PHP and mySQL
> in a single installation??
>
> Is there a easiest or "best choice" for a simple,
> straight-forward install?
>
> This package will be used only for local development (self
> teaching  & practice actually).

I checked a few of these and they were really out of date.  I don't
remember which ones.

I installed Apache and PHP recently on WinXP with pretty much no hassle.
It was pretty painless even with the minimal amount of documentation I
actually read.

I'd install Apache first.  Choose the defaults, then get the installer
packages for PHP and mySQL.

If one of those packages is current and someone can speak for it, by all
means,

TjL