[thelist] IE "box model" hack and xhtml transitional doctype

Scott Blanchard octigonuser at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:11:12 CST 2004

Can someone confirm that IE5.5 & 6 do not require the box model hack for
setting widths when you use this:

If, on the other hand, I use...

<!DOCTYPE html
	PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
	"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

Then I have to specify a separate width for elements that appear in IE (the
box model hack)

Can someone please help me understand this. I did not know that the box
model hack could be avoided by using the appropriate doctype.