[thelist] To reboot or not to reboot. That is the question.

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Mon Jan 5 16:18:14 CST 2004

Sam Carter wrote:

>Now and then when my cable-modem service goes down and I've had to resort to
>calling tech support to get it running again.
>
>COMCAST (my ISP) insists that I power down my modem and my PC, then power up
>the modem first, and after it goes online, then power up the PC.
>
>Is there an reason why the power down / up of the PC would do something that
>running IPCONFIG /RENEW  would not ?
>
>Sam

If something has been corrupted in the tcp/ip - dhcp suite then
rebooting the computer will clear this. Whereas, using the /renew
command will simply try to renew your IP address still using the corrupt
file/memory space/etc. Basically, you are doing a hard reset of all your
networking protocols and bringing them up fresh.

Personally, using windows 2000, I have never been able to get the
ipconfig /renew command to work. The only thing that works on my
computer is to either disable/enable the network card or to reboot the
computer. I have had success using the repair command in XP though.

chris