[thelist] Search Engine Optimization

Tony Grimes info at scribenewmedia.com
Thu Jan 8 15:45:56 CST 2004

Google is sometimes sporadic when it comes to indexing. It usually spiders
each site in its index about once a month (or one "hit" for each
page/image). Sometimes it will visit more often if:

- the site is popular
- the content changes often (i.e. news sites)
- Googlebot had problems indexing the site preciously

There are probably a lot of other reasons, but I can't think of any off the
top of my head. GB was visiting one of my client's sites every 3 days and it
turned out it couldn't get past the first page because of the PHP session
variables we were putting in the links. It was just coming back to try again
later.

The frequency of visits don't really have anything directly to do with your
rankings. The main thing you want to ensure is that Googlebot is finding all
(or at least most) of the pages in your site. Once you know your site is
indexed, you can move on to optimizing.

A great newsletter for starter SEO is the High Rankings Advisor
(http://www.highrankings.com/advisor.htm). Jill Whalen is one of the best in
the biz and offers lots of great tips and tutorials for beginners.

HTH

Tony