[thelist] What am I missing about creating static pages using technology such as java server pages or asp.net?

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Fri Jan 9 09:16:13 CST 2004

Message from Bird (1/9/2004 10:18 PM)
>I have had a couple of enquires lately from people who are unhappy with
>their current web designers asking me to update their websites. When I
>take a look at their sites which are for the most part just static basic
>informational sites I see that they have been made with jsp or asp.net
>
>Is this better than using plain HTML/CSS which I would have done and
>why?

It's not always obvious what's actually going on behind the scenes with
some sites that appear to be static.

Even if database connections aren't involved, one reason I can think of
straight off the top of my head is to incorporate server side includes into
the site. Typically for common elements such as navigation, headers and
footers, etc.

>Are these updateable by someone who has no knowledge of either asp/jsp?

On the most basic level they should be.
One thing you should probably check is whether the original designers have
any sort of contract in place that prohibits modification of their code by
any third parties.

regards.
-marc

--
Carnival 2003 in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/