[thelist] Safari cacheing all CSS bg images

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Fri Jan 9 10:10:01 CST 2004

Hi there,

In the style sheet I use on my site I employ quite a large number of
background images to build my weather-header, eg:

#header .night-clear-new-1 {background:
url(/blog/commonpics/night/clear-new-1.jpg) top right no-repeat;}
#header .night-clear-new-2 {background:
url(/blog/commonpics/night/clear-new-2.jpg) top right no-repeat;}
etc...

However, only one of these CSS rules are ever called from the XHTML at a
time (which one depeends on the weather). I know this means I have a lot
of redundant CSS in there, but that's beside the point at the moment.

I've had two emails from Safari users saying that when they visit the
site ( http://www.1976design.com/blog/ ) their browsers download ALL of
the images refered to in my style sheets - even though they're only
going to use 1 of them.

This _isn't_ a problem specific to my site, but it's more noticeable
when visiting there because of the large number of images mentioned in
the CSS.

I found this problem has been mentioned before on CSS-D:
http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/35317

I wondered if anyone had come across any more info on this matter.

Thanks very much,

- Dunstan