[thelist] Setting the height of an image

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Jan 12 14:04:09 CST 2004

From: "Dorey, Susan" <SJDa at pge.com>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 2:46 PM

> I want to display text in a two-column newspaper layout where the columns
are
> separated by a colored line.  I'll put each column's text in a DIV and
position them
> with CSS.  I want to place a one-pixel image with height = the tallest
column.

Susan,

There are a couple ways to accomplish this:

1.  On the left div add a right border.  On the right div add a left border.
Overlap the divs by one pixel.

2.  Add a background image to the containing div so that when repeated
vertically creates the center line.  In this case, you would not want to
place the columns absolutely.

3.  Use a table and put the border on the TD.  Put the content divs within
the table cells (note: not recommended)

HTH,

<tip type="Linux" author="Joshua Olson">
Many Linux distros now offer "Boot from CD" versions of Linux.  These are
often a good way to get your foot in the door with Linux.  You can go to
places such as OSDisc.com for ready to go CD's, or you can download ISO
Files (bootable CD images) and burn them to disk with your favorite CD
burner software.
</tip>

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer