[thelist] RE: Elementary School Websites

John.Brooking at sappi.com John.Brooking at sappi.com
Fri Jan 16 08:10:55 CST 2004

On 15 Jan 2004, at 16:53, Ken Kogler wrote:
> kindergarten, each with their own schedules, assignments, etc. How
> would you reflect that in the navigation and maintain usability and
> good information design? Sort it by class, or sort it by content
> (schedule, homework, etc).

I would think that most of the class-specific content should be private, or
at least of interest, to just those in the class. So I would consider making
the primary presentation content-oriented, but provide a screen somewhere
along the way to select the class. For clients that accept cookies, you
could store that selection in the cookie, and not have to ask again (until
next year). Of course you'll have to consider the case of multiple children
from the same family in the school, so a different cookie for each. Then
you'll need to provide a place for them to select what child they're asking
for. This is beginning to sound like a personalized "My Class Information"
area...

- John

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither
the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated
companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from
accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.