[thelist] converting emails to database

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Fri Jan 16 18:52:12 CST 2004

At 05:14 PM 1/16/2004, Glen Burnett wrote:

>In Outlook 2000 and later you can select 'File', 'Import and Export' which
>opens up a wizard.
>
>Choose 'Export to a file', then you can select to export to a csv, Excel or
>even an MS Access DB.  You then just choose the folder to export and away
>you go.

If you do that it treats the whole email as a the record and the body of
the email is just a column.

There is no silver bullet because your email data, even if structured, is
still "random" and specific to your needs. One thing we are doing for
clients now is attaching an XML file of the order/reservation information
so that this can be parsed and entered into a DB instead of using the human
readable email body.