[thelist] My company got ripped off

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Sat Jan 17 09:24:01 CST 2004

At 10:01 AM 2004-01-16, you wrote:
>How is it, that we struggle to make 1-2k on a full corprate website
>free-lancing...  and yet, firms like this score 10k on a RE-DESIGN?  And
>half-ass it at that.

Salesmanship. Most people are as stupid as ravens and will drool at
anything that remotely excites the sense. Standards are abstract,
unimaginable and boring to Joe CEO, or John Marketer. If it doesn't sizzle,
it doesn't sell. Can you imagine that years after the fact Microsoft is
STILL in business? Same principle: "Just good enough" because it's instant
gratification.

You've got two choices:

1) Let it affect you and feel like crapfor the length of your life.

2) Suck it up and deal with the unfortunate fact is that it is, has always
been and will always be part of the world.

I can, however relate. The titillating and the political will almost always
over-run the sensible and logical. Humans are emotionally triggered
creatures, not logically triggered. Even those of us who like to think of
ourselves as logical.

Them's the facts of life for webdevs. Sucks, eh?

--
Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.