[thelist] Colour rendition disclaimer anyone?

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Tue Jan 20 10:03:21 CST 2004

On Monday, January 19, 2004, at 02:18  PM, John C Bullas wrote:

> are their any test cards you can put up to give them a refrerence
> standard to see how wrong their monitor is ;)

Hi all --

You sound as though you're looking for a physical color reference card
that you could hold up to the monitor to show him how far off a monitor
can be.  Pantone is obviously one source, but probably far far more
than you need :)

You might try Visibone <http://www.visibone.com/>; they sell Web color
reference cards for about $10.  The only drawback there is that the
swatches are fairly small on the cards, and may not be big enough to
get a good comparison.

You might do a search on the net and see if you can find out the
specific color of a common item such as, say, a can of Coke, and set up
a swatch page with that color.  Then you just hold up a Coke can next
to it and see just how far off it is.

Or find a clothing site that has a similar color disclaimer (some but
not all of them do) and show that to him to simply convince him that it
_is_ a concern.

Here's a question for the designer types out there -- I've heard that
the human eye can perceive differences in shade more easily with
certain colors, but I don't know which colors.  Is there a certain
color range that would be best for this type of comparison?

Steve