[thelist] Microsoft Word mail merge using MySQL (and PHP?)

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Wed Jan 21 17:53:20 CST 2004

At 03:04 PM 1/21/2004, Sarah Sweeney wrote:
>I'm about to start a project which involves moving a database from Access
>to MySQL. The current Access database includes some reports which are used
>to print mailing labels and contracts for clients, using client info from
>the database. I'm wondering if it will be possible to do the same kind of
>thing with a Microsoft Word mail merge, getting the data directly from the
>MySQL database. Will I need to pass parameters to the Word mail merge, or
>can I select certain records directly in Word? Also, will PHP be required,
>or can this all be done directly from Word?

Get myODBC and install that on the PC you want to connect with. Your ISP
will have to have remote connections enabled with mySQL for this to work.

         http://www.mysql.com/products/myodbc/index.html

With a bit of fiddling you should be able to get this working through word.
At minimum you should be able to use Access to connect to the remote DB and
run your reports.

---
Anthony Baratta
President