[thelist] EU data privacy -- what are the US ramifications

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 05:06:02 CST 2004

Hi Fortune

That document doesn't really explain that much.  The EU has a special
agreement with the US regarding data transfer, where by US based data
holders certify to the Safe Harbour framework.  If a US based
organisation meets the Safe Harbour requirements then you'll be deemed
to have an adequate level of data protection and you will be able to
transfer the data freely.

http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?id=1163
http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/

Bear in mind that I'm not a lawyer or an expert on this matter so
everything I've said is probably wrong and you really ought to talk to a
lawyer before doing anything.  :)

Norman