[thelist] The best resource for SEO information

Peter Small peter at petersmall.net
Fri Jan 23 07:06:32 CST 2004

Here's techie thing that may be of interest to a few.

In looking to see how I could design my site in a such a way that it
would appear high up in search engine rankings, I discovered a whole
new world and a confusing mass of information.

Using Google, I typed in a few phrases and got the following results:

"Search engine optimization"  1,290,000 sources listed
"Search engine optimization services"  41,850 sources listed
"Search engine optimization tips"  6,150 sources listed
"Search engine optimization links" 4,320 sources listed
"Search engine optimization resources"  3,650 sources listed
"Search engine optimization information" 2,460 sources listed
"Search engine optimization expert" 2,220 sources listed
"Search engine optimization advice" 1,300 sources listed

As I worked through several hundred of these listing, it became clear
that nowhere was there a fully comprehensive resource. Taken
together, it was a confusing morass of subjective opinion and
conflicting information that could take weeks to sort out the wheat
from the chaff.

As my work involves using genetic algorithms to deal with multiple
variables, I thought I'd put it to work to devise a system that could
sort through all this information to produce an optimally efficient
list of links that would cover all the various aspects of search
engine optimization.

Using artificially intelligence methods is useless here. The values
are subjective and the search engines keep changing their algorithms
to foil the tricksters. The only solution was to use a strategy that
could take into consideration human judgement. It had to be a
collaborative effort, which could be guided by a genetic algorithm.

If anyone is interested in taking part, I've now set up such a system
up to create an optimum resource for search engine optimization.
It'll involve some effort, but you'll get to learn a lot about the
various strategies and techniques that are used in this important
area of Web site design.

A demo can be seen at:

http://www.stigmergicsystems.com/seoresources/

Perhaps of further interest. This same system can be adapted to
produce optimal information resources in any subject area.

Peter Small

Author of: Lingo Sorcery, Magical A-Life Avatars, The Entrepreneurial
Web, The Ultimate Game of Strategy and Web Presence
http://www.stigmergicsystems.com