[thelist] Topica = Spam?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at frogger.kicks-ass.net
Sat Jan 24 19:08:50 CST 2004

On Wednesday 2004 January 21 14:06, Cancilla Dominick wrote:
> I've got a client who is looking to move his opt-in e-mail list to
> Topica because he wants to start sending HTML e-mail (the program we
> currently use is text only).

I personally filter all mail that is either exclusively HTML, or
multipart-alternative with an HTML part, to trash. That takes care of
the vast majority of my spam, and makes it painfully obvious who I need
to educate about the benefits of sending mail in plain text.

Also, as a security precaution, I have my e-mail client set to not parse
HTML *at all*.

> However, while researching this I found that any e-mail list I opt
> into on Topica gets tagged as Spam by my company's blocking software.
> I even found an instance of a company whose newsletters came through
> fine, but started to be blocked when they switched to Topica.

On the anti-spam mailing list I am on, Topica is well recognized as
nearly unrepentant spam supporters. They have even gone so far as to
seperate "good" lists from spam lists, putting them in seperate IP
blocks, in a feeble attempt to keep the "good" lists from getting
tagged as spam.

--
Shawn K. Quinn