[thelist] Accessibility and alt text - quality vs quantity

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 12:23:08 CST 2004

Question:

if I have an image that is inessential to the content, but merely serves
to add color to the page what is the best approach to alt text?

I curently have "picture illustrating the theme" (mainly because it's
randomly selected) how do we feel about that?

My interpretation is that its okay since it has no relevance to the
content but it's being argued that it should have a full text replacement
for the picture (e.g. portrait of a lady in evening clothes, sitting by a
window gazing out to sea)

What do we think?

Is WAI compliance based on *quality* of alt text or just it's existence?
What would you do?

(example url if you want to look:
http://www.torbytes.co.uk/op/tm1/lv2/index.htm - how WAI compliant would
you say it was?)

TIA for your thoughts

Tony

--
listening to: "if you don't know me by now" by David Brent

http://www.xebit.net/