[thelist] Accessibility and alt text - quality vs quantity

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Tue Jan 27 15:12:28 CST 2004

Hi --

If a picture is irrelevant to the content of the site - in other words,
purely decorative, use

alt=""

Describing a picture in detail just for the sake of using alt
attributes is unnecessary and in fact gets in the way of people using
text browsers.  If the picture is directly relevant to the content of
the site, on the other hand, by all means describe it.

<tip type"using alt and title attributes">
Title attributes are very useful in tandem with alt attributes.  For
example, we've all seen how MS IE displays the alt text as a "tool tip"
when you mouse over an image.  If you want to stop that from happening,
use title="".  The title will override the alt text for purposes of
this popup.  If you want the "tool tip" to display something totally
different from the alt tag, it works for that as well.

In short, alt attributes were intended to be seen _instead of_ the
picture; the title attribute is meant to be seen _with_ the picture.
</tip>

Steve