[thelist] IIS ASP Woes [fixed]

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Wed Jan 28 07:42:42 CST 2004

> PRB: Configured Identity Is Incorrect for IWAM Account
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297989
>
> This is usually caused because the passwords stored by IIS or
> Component Services is out-of-sync with the actual password for the
> IWAM or IUSR accounts. Resolution(s) are listed in the KB article.

Turns out that I am lacking these user accounts entirely.

> First, I'd check to make sure those user accounts are
> actually missing.
> In Control Panel, go to Admnistrative Tools then 'Active
> Directory Users
> and Computers'. In the Users folder, you *should* see both IUSR and
> IWAM. If they're there, try resetting the passwords. If
> they're actually
> gone, I'd try reinstalling IIS, but spend some quality time with your
> favorite search engine first and see if there a less traumatic way to
> restore those accounts.

Oh, I checked before and they are not there. On my Win 2K Pro box, however,
there is no item called 'Active Directory Users and Computers.' I access the
Users list from 'Computer Management.'

Anyhow, I found nothing online (not that I looked very much) so I removed
IIS and then reinstalled. It was not particular traumatic in reality.
Removing IIS did sort of confuse Windows--I lost my entire Taskbar, but I
just logged off and on again and it came right back. I have reason to
suspect that this install of Win 2K is not the best anyway--after I
reinstalled it for some reason I had a problem and I spoke to a purported
Windows expert and he advised me never to use SP3 for Win 2K. He said to use
SP2 and SP4 only as SP3 can sometimes actually cause problems.

As far as my IIS and it's ASP, all looks good now. Thanks to Ken and Ken for
their help.

Hershel