[thelist] Re: Accessibility and alt text - quality vs quantity

Toby Mills toby at tobymills.com
Wed Jan 28 10:57:37 CST 2004

It probably a bit late to say/ask this now, but why are people still using
spacer images?
The reason I ask is because any one designing for IE5 and later should
really be using CSS with paddings and margins. And images used only for
styling and not to convey any content, place them as background images (see
below) which alleviates the problem of alt and title tags.

<POSSIBLEtip author="Toby Mills" subject="using CSS to easily place styling
images">
If you wish to place images on a web page for styling or background purposes
then I suggest the following method.
Create a CSS Class with the image set as the background, and margins set as
the height and width.
.nicePicture {background-image:url('./nice.jpg'); background-repeat:
no-repeat; }
div.nicePicture{ width:288px; height:361px; border:1pt solid red;}
div.PicWithTxt{padding-left:288px; height:361px;border:1pt solid red; }

Then to use it on the page simply add the following code where you want it:

N.B. This will on work for browsers that support CSS Style sheets, e.g. IE5
or later

See http://fukc.homeip.net/examples/CSSBackgroundExample.html for code.

</POSSIBLEtip>

toby mills