[thelist] Email Obfuscation may be beaten?

Liam Delahunty liam at megaproducts.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 04:15:09 CST 2004

Deep in my personal site, I have some "Email Obfuscation" techniques,
the best I believe is the ASCII encoded one:
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/tips/email_obfuscation_for_spambots/spambot_03.php

What this does is translate all the characters to their ASCII equivalent
and create a link thus:

This should be viewable in browsers, but the spambots don't/didn't pick
it up.

Now, on the page above I have an example email link to a fictitious user
on my server, which my procmail filter keeps an eye out for. I've
received a MyDoom email to that address; so I was wondering if either,
someone has put that email in their address book, or have spambots
finally started reading ASCII?

I think the former, but was wondering if anyone else uses the ASCII
technique and have had 'real' spam to the address.

--
Kind regards, Liam Delahunty, Mega Products Ltd
12 Bury Place, London WC1A 2JL Fax: +44(0)871 224 7891