[thelist] html email problem

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Fri Jan 30 06:38:10 CST 2004

On 30 Jan 2004, at 12:25, Andrew Bayley wrote:
> One of our clients asked us to produce an html email

Oh dear

> containing their
> letterhead, which seemed a simple enough task.  However, when I try and
> print it out, the background color of the table cells prints out as
> white.

This is because most clients are configured not to print background
colours and images (to conserve ink).

> I have tried using several breeds of html, and even resorted to
> setting a
> background 1px gif, but nothing seems to work.  Is there any command
> that
> one can use to force the color to print?

You might try using a foreground image with some CSS, but CSS support
by email clients is rather lacking.

I'd stick to plain text for email, but if you are going with it, then
go with printer friendly (dark on light) colours and don't worry about
backgrounds not printing.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/