[thelist] Explorer market share down in 2003?

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Fri Jan 30 11:02:42 CST 2004

Joshua Olson wrote:

>>> http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist_nov03.html
>
> I think the wackiness in the IE usage is attributed to, if I recall
> correctly, that many people switched to IE 6 and then switched back
> to 5/5.5 after some initial problems with compatibility.  I seem to
> recall some news to that effect... perhaps having to do with some
> people being turned away because the default security settings in IE
> 6 broke their favorite sites.

    I don't recall that happening -- although perhaps it did within small
pockets of end-users -- but IE 6 was released a year-and-a-half before that
time (10/2001, according to blooberry [1]). It's hard for me to imagine
actual usage changing so dramatically in such a short period of time, so I
suspect that it is an anomaly in Google's data-gathering process.

1. http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/history/ie.htm

James Aylard