[thelist] Email Obfuscation may be beaten?

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 13:06:58 CST 2004

At 18:48 01/02/2004, you wrote
>you're right, if you can read the php page using wordpad then you can
>see the php code.
>"thus if a webpage file has php in it but it is not "rendered"
>I can see it... or am I dense?"
>
>but since SPAM harvester get the email from webpages, they use http://
>!!
>they only get the source of the HTML rendered by the php !

Ok, they read the pages as plain text but the PHP interpreter gets there first?

We all know spambots read the HTML source rather than "viewing"
the "delivered output to screen" but this seems to suggest that stuff
like SSI and other sorts of stuff parsed will be delivered as well?

makes sense

I still ned to be shown where to put my email address in the PHP munger :(
FB

>And when you think twice about it, it's normal !! If people or spam
>harvesters could see the php code, we'd all be in big trouble ! (think

like CGI etc etc the parser gets there first