[thelist] Email Obfuscation may be beaten?

Damien COLA damiencola at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 1 19:23:23 CST 2004

As was being demonstrated earlier in this thread, I also believe that
email ASCII encoding is one obfuscation technique that worked when it
was new, but it's so easy to implement in a spam harvester program that
it has been done.
Javascript is still for now a new technique that need a javascript
interpreter to be embed in email haresting programs in order to be able
to detect.
So here's the one I use, given earlier on the list, I added the subject,
so the email link will be
mailto:myemail at mydomain.com?subject=aSubjectLine

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
function print_mail_to_link(lhs,rhs,subject)
{
document.write("<A HREF=\"mailto");
document.write(":" + lhs + "@");
document.write(rhs + "?subject=" + subject + "\">" + lhs + "@" + rhs +
"<\/A>");
}
// --> </SCRIPT>

and when you want to show an email + link you do :
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!--
print_mail_to_link('myemail','mydomain.com','aSubjectLine')
// --> </SCRIPT>

Of course, if you can you should *also* provide a contact form for those
who have no email client set up (people using webmail only, people not
using their own computer) and for those who don't have or want
javascript enabled.

Cheers,
Damien