[thelist] Recommendations for a database driven website

Ian Gilbert ian at ethicalshopper.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 10:10:02 CST 2004

We went with PostgreSQL as it implements stored procedures properly.
There are various 'religious' wars going on about this subject so it's
quite difficult to get a reasonable picture but my understanding is that
for anything that doesn't require transactions (e.g. forums, bulletin
boards, galleries) MYSql is much faster but for ecommerce and situations
where you require ACID conformity PostgreSQL is more appropriate.   They
are both open source and very good indeed by any standards (twelve months
no reboot so far).  We also use MYSQL for a couple of photo galleries and
forums that we run.

Ian