[thelist] Formail exploits... Fwd: 404 recorded on the IMM2004 Website

David Siedband david at calteg.org
Tue Feb 3 15:19:02 CST 2004

The original (MSA) FormMail script is vulnerable to an exploit that
allowed for commands to be issued with the privileges of the web server
process.  This vulnerability is commonly exploited by spammers to send
bulk e-mail, and can also lead to compromise of the host.

http://www.securityfocus.com/corporate/research/
top10attacks_q1_2002.shtml

For folks interested in achieving this functionality through cgi-Perl,
there is an improved version of FormMail by the London Perl Mongers
http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

--
David