[thelist] Access Keys

Juha Suni juha.suni at ilmiantajat.fi
Fri Feb 6 05:58:00 CST 2004

Osaurus wrote:
> Is the 'Skip Navigation' link purely for the purposes of tabbing
> through links and therefore missing out the main menu links on each
> page, or is it more specifically designed for the users of
> screen-reading software - for the same purpose of missing the main
> navigation but *not* any main content text before the next link?

I have the impression that 'Skip Navigation' Links are mainly for
screen-readers, since listening through all the navigation babble at the
beginning of every page can be extremely frustrating. As such I would also
assume that subsequent tabbing / arrowing / whatever should continue from
there on forward, i.e. go to the nexts link(s) in the actual content.

Top navigation as such is (when properly implemented) a small nuisance at
the most for text-browsers, since it is usually easy to skip the navigation
anyway pretty fast, whereas with screen readers it could be very tedious.

--
Suni