[thelist] My ongoing problem with Google and the Studio Stitchessite

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 23:57:34 CST 2004

At 02:27 09/02/2004, you wrote
>Hi Jane
>several things are wrong :

Google WILL find you, you can't run but you can't hide!

It takes time, Be patient, If you can read your server logs you will see
you will have been googled ("googlebot")
"A watched 'bot' never visits" :)

Wait around, Everything is there to get you "spidered" just may be not the
best things you need.

John

>Plus, another thing : don't repeat a keyword more than once in title,
>keywords and description meta tags.. It's of no use, and in your case
>(several keywords repeated) it plays against your page.

true IF the ranking system used down grades you for multiple keywords, some
fall over after they have read 60+ :)

>Also, you said you've put a proper HTML linking at the end, but it's at
>the end, it doesn't help either.

wouldn't have thought this mattered as no hyperlinks preceeded them....?

>In your head meta tags **ADD** those two :

useful if you have a regular spider visit but don't think you can force
google to revisit weekly can you?
if you can..... BINGO! I tend to use revisit to control spidering of sites
with static content where regular "botting"
(excuse the phraseology for the Uk listers!) is unnecessary.....

>ROBOTS is the most important, it clearly indicates what the robot should
>do : INDEX the page and FOLLOW the links.

Surely "index,follow" is the assumed action if no robots metatag exists?

http://www.w3.org/Search/9605-Indexing-Workshop/ReportOutcomes/Spidering.txt

I have never used this tag only noindex/nofollow in some combination, does
explicitly
stating index,follow achieve anything?

>Look at your DESCRIPTION meta tag :
><META NAME="Description" CONTENT="needlepoint, designs, for sale, studio
>stiches stitching, needlework, kit">
>Can't you find something better for a description ?
>Try to make english sentences using your keywords.

http://www.google.com/technology/index.html

PageRank Explained

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its
vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In
essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page
A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or
links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes
cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help
to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google
remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean
nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank
with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both
important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of
times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's
content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a
good match for your query.

Metatags?

Google's world didn't mention them :( , links seem the thing, wrong? got
any more URLs where Google say what goes on....

>ALSO, one important thing :
>in your body you state :
>bgcolor="#FFFFFF"
>and somewhere later, you use this old-dated spammer trick :
>kits needlepoint crossstitch tapestry embroidery</font>

invisible text! I assume Google compares the text colour to the background
colour before deciding whether it is a spammer trick or not?

>Please don't underestimate your "enemy" (ugly google) and use LINKED CSS
>instead to set the hidden keywords color..
>
>If I was google I'd put a very bad point to any site still using this
>trick. That's what they must already do.

Googles own explanation seems very simple..... links links links traffic
traffic traffic