[thelist] Learning XML

Trent Whaley u233 at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 9 11:06:58 CST 2004

On February 8, 2004 02:31 pm, Kevin Stevens wrote about "[thelist] Learning
XML":
> I bought a book to teach me XML ages ago and have just got around to

Probably the best way to start getting your feet wet would be to get a "News
Ticker" type application and start hand-coding RSS
(http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss). It's a very simple XML format that
can get you started.

Then you can move on to processing XSLT sheets  in Mozilla, and writing DOM
scripts in JavaScript. The advantage of going this route is that you don't
need any compilers or development environment to learn. All you need is a web
browser (www.mozilla.org).

Once you've learned the fundamentals, you can start doing server-side stuff.