[thelist] [OT] MS vs *nix WAS:( New Critical Security Patch for Windows)

Brian Cummiskey Brian at hondaswap.com
Thu Feb 12 06:05:10 CST 2004

> I would say this is of dubious relevance, when the exploits for them
> choke down entire networks and the fallout affects everyone, even those
> of us who have long since ceased trusting Microsoft. Also, Microsoft is
> not exactly known for brutal honesty when it comes to owing up to a bug
> in their software, in particular if it is security-related, and even if
> they acknowledge it the impact is ridiculously downplayed.

This has gone quite off-topic at this point, but I want to add my two cents.

This whole MS is not secure thing really comes down to 1 thing:  popularity.
Think about it.

If 90% of the world used a *nix kernel, as a virus maker or hacker, what
would you go after?

I strongly feel that as *nix becomes more and more popular, that there
are going to be a bunch of security holes, and thus viri, patches, and
so forth.  And well, sometimes things take time to fix- a patch is not
always an easy thing to come up- so that it doesn't hinder the rest of
the o/s, all the while, fixing the breach in the system.