[thelist] Re: thelist Digest, Vol 12, Issue 21

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 12 09:15:25 CST 2004

I tried alistapart.com (no protocol, no www), //alistapart.com (// but
no protocol, no www), www.alistapart.com (no protocol with www) and got
a correct hit each time. I tried the same three permutations for
qad.com and got prompted for a password each time, supplied my qad
password but I was not authorized each time.

So it really depends on the individual server. If I was a graphic
artist I suppose I would test the URL of the company I was making the
stationery for and then go from there.

On Wednesday, February 11, 2004, at 02:56 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> The "http://" is never optional, though many browsers may assume it if
> you
> don't provide one. It's the most important part, that says "I want to
> contact example.com's web server" instead of ftp, ssh, telnet, smtp,
> etc.
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown