[thelist] New Critical Security Patch for Windows....

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 10:50:50 CST 2004

At 11:07 12/02/2004, Jeff Howden wrote
>john,
>
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > From: John C Bullas
> >
> > Microsoft who art in Redmond.......
> >
> > Thank you for providing virus writers and hackers with
> > the exploits from day one be they security loopholes,
> > possible buffer overruns or missing canaries, that later
> > on enable you to remind us of your beneficence via
> > "windows Update"......
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
>technology is built by humans and therefore imperfect.  to cast a stone at

Tell honda and subaru (fuji heavy industries) that :) ,
but don't mention the software upgrades needed on the
BMW MINI Cooper S to solve the supercharger stumble.... embedded what?

>any particular vendor (in this case microsoft) is extremely boastful of your
>own abilities, no?  further, it indicates just how out of touch you are with

I have never written an OS or any real programs however to carry out a
straw poll
of computer users between users of microsoft or any of the other OS's will
of course
yield the same degree of angst and bitterness won't it....  I am wrong then.

>security news online.  yes, there are a lot of security holes in microsoft
>products and yes, microsofts products enjoy a rather dominant market share.

True, True

>however, the fact remains that alerts from most any non-vendor-specific
>security alert service you sign up to have microsoft products in the gross
>minority, the opposite of what you might be inclined to believe.  just

Are we saying there are more alerts in toto for other non microsoft products
or are we saying fewer users are "touched" by the total of all the alerts
for that year
between OS's.... all Ferraris get recalled versus All Ford Mondeos?

>something to ponder before you blurt the usual, uninformed, anti-microsoft
>rhetoric you hear from self-proclaimed computer experts.

OH! I never claimed to be a computer expert did I, I wasn't aware anyone
would profess
to that....? Professing to be an expert tends to close your eyes and ears
to development,
change and innovation as you are supposed to know it all already..

why is it JUST that when you complain about the shoddy security
housekeeping that seems
common with MS suddenly it is unfair...

Let's see how people would react if every FORD or TOYOTA
stopped dead and had to be "upgraded" or it would catch fire...

As a consumer of anything I have the right to criticize the vendor and
if that is an electric toaster or an OS........ it doesn't matter... you
prove to me that the purveyors
of other equivalents to "Windows" are responsible for building in so many
"glitches"
and requiring so many updates (some required as a result of the last update
[restoring old archives
to Windows 2003 server builds? etc etc] ) and I will worship your very sweat ;)

I guess I probably am both alone AND wrong :(

John