[thelist] IE5.0 CSS rendering problems

Simon Perry simon.perry at si-designs.co.uk
Sun Feb 15 06:09:44 CST 2004

Tim Burgan wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I'm a student learning web programming and I'm also getting involved
> with CSS.
>
> I've just tried to "reverse-engineer" the look of an existing website
> to learn how it has been done.
>
> I've tested on Win98, Win98SE, and WinXP, IE 4 and up. IE5.0 is having
> rendering trouble with my H3 (header) styles.
>
> Is there a reason for this? What can I do. I've hidden css styles from
> version 4 browsers, but I want it to work for IE5.0

It would seem that IE5 does not like your method of image replacement of
the Hx elements. Remove the hiding code from the index section and you
will see what I mean.

On the design front I am confused by your use of [0]FIR on all Hx
elements to achieve an effect that pure CSS could produce without the
overhead of extra images and the accessibility issues created by
stopping the user from text zooming headings. Also you have used images
and javascript for your navigation buttons when again pure CSS[1] can
create the same effect without the overhead or uncertainty of javascript
support and as an added bonus less code and less images means faster
page load times.

Simon

[0] http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fir/
[1] http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/index.htm