[thelist] Mac / OS X question

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Tue Feb 17 16:21:50 CST 2004

Hi --

Looking for information on the specs, expandability, or capabilities of
any Mac ever made?  Download MacTracker at <http://www.mactracker.ca/>.
  It's available for Mac or Windows (or... iPod?) and really is a
phenomenal resource.

The G3 Blue and Whites came with a 6, 9, or 12GB hard drive (OS 10.3
takes up about 3GB for a full install).  Processor speed ranged from
300-450Mhz. They also did _not_ come with CD-RW, though some (top of
the line?) came with DVD-RAM.  To run OS X I would recommend at least
512MB RAM -- this model can take up to 1024MB total over four PC100
68-pin SDRAM slots.  USB 1 and Firewire 400 included.

They have 3 PCI slots for expandability.

Check around for Mac-compatible wireless Network cards.  Incidentally,
Airport (which is not included in this computer) is the standard
wireless network method (802.b IIRC, or 802.g for "Airport Extreme")
used by Windows.  "Airport" is just Apple's trademark name for it.

Contact me offlist for more specific info,
OR download MacTracker,
OR check out the really excellent discussion boards at
<http://www.apple.com/support/>

Steve