[thelist] Apache: Name base VirtualHost Hel[L]p?

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Wed Feb 18 04:01:56 CST 2004

At 04:23 AM 2004-02-18, you wrote:
>"\" is not a correct folder separator in an apache conf.
>
>Try replacing it with "/" and tell us if it's better.
>
>(educated guess: "\" is not understood at all, or maybe as an escape
>character, thus your virtual hosts overlap...)

Thanks. Tried it. No go. Let me re-cover the basics, this time with real
info, maybe I've missed something.

The current set up points only to the root

DIRECTORY LAYOUT
D:/htdocs <- zeph.dnsalias.com/ (localhost)
D:/htdocs/ninaspencer.com/
D:/htdocs/tidysflowers.com/

HOSTS FILE
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       zeph.dnsalias.com (Free DNS redirection service to my IP)
127.0.0.1       test.ninaspencer.com
127.0.0.1       test.tidysflowers.com

CONF FILE
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName zeph.dnsalias.com
         DocumentRoot D:/htdocs
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName test.ninaspencer.com
         DocumentRoot D:/htdocs/ninaspencer.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName test.tidysflowers.com
         DocumentRoot D:/htdocs/tidysflowers.com
</VirtualHost>

If I use the following variables in my Coldfusion template, I get the
following consistent results

#cgi.server_name# <- correct name ie "test.domain.com" or
"zeph.dnsalias.com". This is always reflected correctly.

HERE'S WHERE IT SCREWS UP.

Assume that every test below is immediately after an Apache reboot.

If I first access zeph.dnsalias.com (the root), all subsequent access of
these domains will show GetCurrentTemplatePath() as "D:\htdocs\index.cfm "
(the root of zeph.dnsalias.com)

If I first access test.tidysflowers.com, all subsequent access of these
domains will show GetCurrentTemplatePath() as
"D:\htdocs\tidysflowers.com\index.cfm"

If I first access test.ninaspencer.com, all subsequent access of these
domains will show GetCurrentTemplatePath() as
"D:\htdocs\ninaspencer.com\index.cfm "

UNLESS

I access test.tidysflowers.com TWICE , then all subsequent access of these
domains will show GetCurrentTemplatePath() as
"D:\htdocs\tidysflowers.com\index.cfm"

This is as consistent, as it is baffling to me.

At this point (with these settings), there is NO Apache error when I
re-launch it.

Let me know if I've missed an important pieces of data. Win2k, CF MX,
Apache 1.36

--
Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.