[thelist] Apache: Name base VirtualHost Hel[L]p?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Feb 18 09:05:01 CST 2004

Frank, a couple of points --

> HOSTS FILE
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 127.0.0.1       zeph.dnsalias.com (Free DNS redirection service to my IP)
> 127.0.0.1       test.ninaspencer.com
> 127.0.0.1       test.tidysflowers.com

I don't have any reference for this, but I'm suspicious of using
'localhost'/127.0.0.1 this way; any reason you're not using your
real address?

> CONF FILE
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>         ServerName zeph.dnsalias.com
>         DocumentRoot D:/htdocs
> </VirtualHost>

For comparison, my W2K/Apache conf is something like

NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.100
<VirtualHost foo>
	ServerName foo
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost bar>
	ServerName bar
</VirtualHost>

> At this point (with these settings), there is NO Apache error when I
> re-launch it.

Ugh. Instead of restarting, open a shell window and type 'apache -t'
to check the overall httpd.conf syntax and 'apache -S' to check the
virtual hosts setup.

What do those report?

> ... important pieces of data. Win2k, CF MX, Apache 1.36

? The latest 1.x version of Apache is 1.3.29 -- I hope you don't
mean you're running 1.3.6 ... :-)

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.