[thelist] Can you create tags in xhtml?

Toby Mills toby at tobymills.com
Wed Feb 18 10:21:13 CST 2004

I thought the whole point of XHTML was to bring HTML inline with XML. I
thought one of the big things about XML was its versatility.

So, Er, why cant you add your own elements? Why not just create your own
document definition that inherits / emulates the XHTML doc type. Like what's
done for frames.
So, I did a quick test. I copied an updated the Doc Definition for XHTML as
can be seen at : http://fukc.homeip.net/tlgm2/links/CustomXhtml1-strict.dtd
I then altered the doc type tag to read
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD CUSTOM XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://fukc.homeip.net/tlgm2/links/CustomXhtml1-strict.dtd">
And parsed it through the W3 Validator:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffukc.homeip.net%2Ftlgm2%2Flin
ks%2Findex.asp

And it validated it, but note it does say:
"This Page Is Valid -//W3C//DTD CUSTOM XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Any thoughts? Could this throw up later problems?

toby mills
web developer & programmer

www.tobymills.com