[thelist] CFMX: IP Address Ban/Prevent

Russ russ at unrealisticexpectations.com
Sun Feb 22 07:26:12 CST 2004

Hi All,

I have a client who has several sites that allow users to interract in
several different ways.  Part of the problem that they're having is that
they do get a handful of inappropriate comments from a select group of
people (trolls) and I'm trying to figure out the best way in CFMX to
provide an IP address ban.

I would think that, since they collect IP addresses already, it should
be fairly simple to add another table to the DB for IP addresses.
However, I've not ever checked for an IP address on a page load
(assuming it should be done in the Application.cfm) and then forced a
redirect to a page that lets the user know what's happening.

Has anyone ever worked with this sort of thing or does anyone have an
example of how best to achieve this?

Thanks,

Russ