[thelist] spam solution for linux box

Liam Delahunty liam at megaproducts.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 10:19:12 CST 2004

on 23/02/2004 09:03 akinwande opegbemi said the following:

> Hi,
> I have been worrying about how to stop SPAM on my network for so long now.
> Let me explain to you how my network looks like:
> I have a gateway(modem) to the internet and behind it, is a linux box which i used as a bandwidth manager with clarck connect as the o/s.On this and on the network i used all the life ip address given to me by my backbone but anytime there is spam complain,my backbone will block the ip on the linux instead of blocking the concerned ip that is on the network.
> Presently i have six wireless clients connected to my network with wireless radios and one of them is causing this headache for me.
> I look forward to responce soonest,
> Thanks,
> Akin.

It sounds like you have a client on your box who is sending spam, is
that right? If so there is only one solution. Drop the client and send
him a bill for whatever amount violating your anti-spam T&C will allow.

If your looking to stop spam coming in, then set up ip based block
lists, the aggressiveness of which ever ones you use is down to you.

I have some statistics on my small server here:
http://www.britstream.com/support/rejects_statistics.php

you could also look at
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/
( http://freshmeat.net/projects/mailscanner/ )
http://www.spamassassin.org/
http://www.procmail.org/

--
Kind regards, Liam Delahunty, Mega Products Ltd
12 Bury Place, London WC1A 2JL Fax: +44(0)871 224 7891