[thelist] Tomcat, JBoss, or JRun - which is better for learning j2ee?

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 11:04:48 CST 2004

You can use tomcat no problem for this. That's what it is for, and it
is free.

If you are going to use tomcat and EJB you will need an EJB server. So
you will also need JBoss.

On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 09:19 PM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am taking a job this summer where I will be working on a web
> application created using J2EE. I know Java, however, I do not know
> JSP,
> EJB, servlets, etc. To correct this, I am planning on installing a java
> server onto my linux computer in order to learn the technology.
>
> The question that I have is which would be better to install - Tomcat,
> JBoss, JRun, Oracle 9i AS?
>
> I do not know what server the company is running. The point of this
> little exercise is twofold: (1) to learn JSP and related technology and
> (2) to learn the server side of things as well. I realize that the
> easiest way to achieve #1 would be to install Tomcat, however, I am not
> sure if this would sastify my second goal.
>
> I would like to know what other people think about the above servers
> and
> which would be the best to install.
>
> chris
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown