[thelist] Tomcat, JBoss, or JRun - which is better for learni ng j2ee?

Steve Lewis nepolon at worlddomination.net
Wed Feb 25 12:55:59 CST 2004

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> At the beginning. :-)  Let's say I already have an existing webapp*
> that I'd like to try work on in Eclipse. What kind of "project" is
> that? How do I bring that into Eclipse's world?
create a new project, select Java from the project type (you must have
the JDK plugins to make Eclipse useful, go get them and drop them in the
plugins directory if you dont have em).  Point it at the base directory,
your catalina bootstrap etc.  The wizard is pretty straight forward.

I have a .classpath file for my project for Eclipse that we keep in CVS
that helps get new folks working faster, but you will be building a
.classpath file by doing the project creation and it will make it easier
if you ever need to repeat the process.

> * said webapp being various servlets, JSPs, Beans, utility classes
> that set application properties from web.xml or property files or
> from the database, Filters, XML and XSLT files, etc., etc.
I work with a pretty big project doing something quite similar to what
you describe.  We make extensive use of XML and XSL, custom servlet
container configuration from web.xml and options.xml files, MySQL db
backend, etc.  Our codebase is around 24 meg in my working directory
right now (both .class and .java files present however) and we have
several hundred classes, obviously, and more than two dozen devs working
on it.  Eclipse keeps us sane.

Steve