[thelist] CSS background positioning and link borders

Gregory Wostrel info at gwcreative.com
Wed Feb 25 16:44:59 CST 2004

On Feb 25, 2004, at 10:46 AM, Jono Young wrote:

> Did you decide to drop the swoosh mark form the page's background,
> like it
> used to be on this page
> <http://www.gwcreative.com/working/pt/index02.html>
>
> I am still learning CSS, so all this is very interesting to me, just
> wondering if there were limitations that forced you to drop the
> background
> image, or if it was an aesthetically-based decision?  Could be that my
> browser is rendering it incorrectly?  I can see that the entire
> background
> image is there if I squeeze the browser window real thin the background
> image moves across the left navigation column, but I cannot see the
> image in
> the blueish area where your text is, which is how it used to display
> in the
> above URL.

Jono,
sorry , I responded too fast. I didn't read carefully the first time.
To be clear:
Yes I decided not to do the swoosh across the whole page like that
because of some really bizarrre problem with scrolling in Mozilla
browsers and a complete inability of IEPC to display the image(s)
properly. Understand that the effect is achieved by having three images
that all line up to the viewport but are only revealed as the
background of the <div> they are associated with. The technique was
something I first saw here:
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/demo.html

Really great stuff, but you need to be on a Mac and be using IE (go
figure!) or Safari. These two browsers seem to have the best all around
(no flames people - just an opinion and speaking generally) support for
CSS-1 and CSS-2. IE5 and 6/PC completely bungle it. Take a look:
(Win98/IE6)
http://www.gwcreative.com/working/pt/IE6_PC.gif

Since the site I am working on will be accessible to the internet and
not on a corporate intranet where I can control things, I had to drop
it. <rant>What a pain, if I had my way IEPC would rot in hell</rant>

Gregory Wostrel

gwcreative
http://www.gwcreative.com/
gw at gwcreative.com
401.286.9228
Communications and the Art of Simplicity