[thelist] Site review

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Tue Mar 9 07:55:34 CST 2004

On 9 Mar 2004, at 13:34, John C Bullas (soton.ac.uk relay) wrote:

> Colleagues
>
> Please be gentle with me as I am (really) a road surface
> characteristics PhD researcher
> delivering very cheap web solutions to ex-customers as a hobby.... no
> formal training
>
> http://www.rocbinda.com/

* It says I'm viewing using Netscape. I'm not, I'm using Safari, not
related to Netscape at all (other then the agent string saying that it
supports standards like Gecko). Oddly enough, I already know what
browser I'm using, its written in the title bar.
* It redirects me after a certain time. I was still trying to read the
page! Don't perform timed redirects.
* The front page gives no clue as to what Rocbinda is, it just says
that it has many applications. Can you coat racetracks and coat racks
with it?
* What is Jobling Purser Ltd? How does it relate to rocbinda?
* Why are you welcoming me to my proxy server? Why are you telling me
the ip address of my proxy server at all?
* Avoid saying 'click here'.
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/click.html
* Visible hit counters say "Look at the size of my male genitalia" -
your visitors don't care how popular your site is, only that it gives
them the information they want.
* I can't read x-small text. Very few people can.
* You have 35 meta keywords. In those few search engines that pay any
attention to this, you are libel to get yourself labeled as a keyword
spammer
* Your HTML is invalid
* You have:
Try margin-top: 4em; instead.
* You have a lot of text marked up as <h2>, there is no way I could
possibly believe that it really is four level 2 headings, one after the
other, with no text between them.
* Don't abuse tables. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

... and that's just the splash screen.

--