[thelist] Site review

Diane Soini diane at dianesoini.com
Wed Mar 10 00:00:37 CST 2004

Hey, I know how it is to work with people who are not computer
literate. Simple is better for them. I'm only barely literate. I know
less and less each year.

My 2 cents:
1. I don't like the initial page. It's is not useful, and it is too
wide. The page that it redirects to should be the initial page.
2. Personally, I tend to dislike instructions. "To navigate around the
site use the links below..." Using links to navigate is pretty much
understood by now. My personal opinion is that if you have to give
instructions, then your web site is broken. In your case, the site is
not broken. The instructions are merely unnecessary.
3. Somebody else said not to use "click here" links and you said you
removed them, but I'm not sure anybody told you why. Search engines
place a certain weight on the text of a link. If the text of the link
says something meaningful about the destination, and matches the
destination, it's good for usability and it's good for search engines.
It indicates "this is what the destination page is about."
4. Not a big fan of centered text. The left navigation might look
better left justified.
5. Your personal web log appears to have a more polished design. Any
chance of borrowing from it?
6. Even if the graphic design is not polished, I've been to many sites
like yours, with simple (even down-right ugly) designs and if I think
about it, those are the sites where I've actually spent money, or come
close to it. Sites selling Vespa accessories, parrot diapers and other
quirky things aren't going to look like some fancy-schmancy web log.
But they are going to have the quirky things I want to buy or learn
about that I can't find in my local shopping center.

I have to admire you for being able to make web sites for clients. If
only I had taken that opportunity when I was first offered I might be a
"real" web designer like all these other folks instead of twiddling my
thumbs in the Dilbert cube farm, doing a little html here, a little JSP
there, a little domino designer there a little flash over there, but
nothing to any level of greatness.

Diane

On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, at 08:54 AM, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org
wrote:
> At 14:55 09/03/2004, you wrote

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> ... and that's just the splash screen.
>>
>> Best just stick to being a geologist then ;)
>>
>> FB
>
> I understand I am just "playing" at what a lot of you lot do for a
> living
> however I am sure you all are
> forever learning stuff even now..... I always find it difficult to
> explain
> something I have a so-called
> expertise in without getting critical ( but very infrequently I fail
> AND do
> get critical rather than constructive)
>
> So for future reference alternative solutions in addition to a
> critique of
> those issues raised along with more constructive
> and positive language I guess would help a lot more.... there is
> always the
> perennial problem of convincing
> the client that having a wanky IP display on the page is a bad thing
> and
> also ripping the hit counter from
> their clutches....
>
> THANKS for the tip about "click here"s.... I have eradicated them
> THANKS for the tip about xx-small
> Suggested to them ditching the pointless index page
> The contact form is now well reduced in width
>
> The site architecture was inherited BTW
>
> Generally thanks for all your positive input.......
>
> FB
> http://www.soton.ac.uk/~johnb/
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown