[thelist] HTML E-mails

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Tue Mar 16 14:04:42 CST 2004

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On Tuesday 2004 March 16 11:50, live4bacon at optonline.net wrote:
>
>>Greetings!
>>I have been charged with creating some html driven e-mail for my
>>employer and I was curious as to whether or not you all could point
>>me to some good resources listing pitfalls, good practices, things to
>>aviod, etc. regarding this matter.
>

> The best advice I can give is to have a plain text version as well, and
> not with multipart/alternative either (which defeats the entire purpose
> as now everbody gets both HTML and plain text, leading to even more
> bloat).

I think multipart/alternative is an ok compromise. (Yes, there's still
the bloat issue...) It can get confusing for non-technical users to have
to choose between a text or html version. I've been pushing for better
design of the text portion of multipart/alternative newsletters, as it's
often forgotten by designers. I use Thunderbird which allows you to
easily toggle between viewing the email as HTML or as plain text.

Pete