[thelist] HTC behaviors? (was "Text area question")

John.Brooking at sappi.com John.Brooking at sappi.com
Wed Mar 17 09:26:00 CST 2004

>Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:29:27 -0500
>From: Hershel Robinson <hershelr at netvision.net.il>
>To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
>Subject: [thelist] Re: Text area question
>
>Put 51 characters in the Windows buffer. Place the mouse in the textarea.
>Right-click. Select Paste. You now have 51 characters in your textarea.
>
>Hershel

Good point! I don't have the time to try it right now, but I guess one would
have to add some more checks to onBlur, onChange, or something to get the
complete solution. I'll try to come up with one later on to add as a tip, as
someone else suggested to me off-line.

Meanwhile, the thread has since opened up another question for me:

>Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:04:23 -0600
>From: Michael Harrington <mike0351 at bellsouth.net>
>To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
>Subject: [thelist] Re: Text area question (Mike Harrington)
>
>Look at http://www.siteexperts.com/ie5/htc/ts08/page1.asp .
>
>Also Google search turns up many solutions
>(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=textarea+%2Bmaxleng
th)

The siteexperts article, as well as several of the Google result pages,
recommended implementing various "custom behaviors" using an HTC file. I've
seen this technology briefly before, but am not well-acquainted with it. I
always thought it was a Microsoft-specific thing, but some of the pages I
looked at seem to indicate it's a CSS thing. It also seems to use XML. Can
someone explain briefly what it is, whether it is a standard, and how well
various browsers support it?

- John

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither
the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated
companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from
accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.