[thelist] Automatic copy to Web host

Mark Gillingham markgill at uwalumni.com
Wed Mar 17 09:33:59 CST 2004

On Wednesday, March 17, 2004, at 06:00 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> At 02:02 PM 3/16/2004, Mark Gillingham wrote:
>> My organization uses a host for its website, which has few extras
>> (e.g.,
>> httrack, rsync). I want to use httrack to prepare a static site from
>> different sources and then upload that site daily. Better if I only
>> upload
>> files that had actually changed. I can't run httrack directly on the
>> public host, so what are my options for ftp--that is I use httrack
>> locally
>> and the transfer the site tree to the public host? Tech support tells
>> be
>> that ftp is my only choice. I bet someone has already solved this
>> problem.
>
> Use rsync, with it you can push the files from your local httrack
> "compiled" copy up to the remote host. Rsync can be set to only
> uploaded
> changed files, as well as, delete files from remote that do not exist
> locally.

I would use rsync if I could. Our host does not allow a shell and does
not supply rsync or httrack. I think the only thing to do is script ftp
to check the date of each file in a local directory tree (where the
updated site resides) and send any files to the host that are newer.
I'm looking for a script to do just that since it would take me a long
time to muddle through it myself.